/* -------------End of css declarations ----------- */

Friday, October 14, 2005

Application Keywords, or How To Blag A Place at Uni

According to The Guardian, psychologists and admissions tutors at University of Hertfordshire have identified the ten words to include on your application and ten words to avoid, if you want to be successful.

Hopefully these will apply to jobs as well. It's clearly the "always" that's been holding me back. My CVs usually have a sentence that runs something like "I always consider things carefully when making a decision..." Maybe I should just be honest - "I consider things carefully unless it looks boring or it's after 4pm on a Friday."

According to the list, what I should be saying is "I have developed transferable skills which mean that when I am involved in planning that may have an impact on my achievements I consider all the evidence, along with my individual experience and draw active conclusions."
"The top 10 words to include on an application form are:
  • Achievement
  • Active
  • Developed
  • Evidence
  • Experience
  • Impact
  • Individual
  • Involved
  • Planning
  • Transferable skills
The 10 words to avoid:
  • Always
  • Awful
  • Bad
  • Fault
  • Hate
  • Mistake
  • Never
  • Nothing
  • Panic
  • Problems"
Tagged: | |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home